Room in house in exchange for property care
Summer 2012, Sebastopol
Room and shared use of communal space in 3000sf home on 4.8 acres with expansive views from Eastern walls of windows and spacious decks. Birding is awesome here as we back to the Atascadero wetlands near Graton. Gorgeous land includes nature trail through woods, orchards, big veggie gardens, edible flower garden, butterfly garden, herb & tea garden, and more. Nature School here on property*. Perks: free eggs & veggies & possibly (?) goat milk.
JUNE 15 TO AUGUST 30ish (some flexibility). We’ll be out of town most of it, but in town some. A little garden help while we’re gone will be provided by 1 or more parent volunteers (possibly more – you could even organize a parent workday) and my camp teachers. *Earth Camp will take place here last 2 weeks of June & 1st 3 weeks August (includes a few days of July) from 9-3 M-F. Main responsibility for garden while we’re gone though will be you. Could wind up doing 95% of the garden work or maybe 50%.
1. Tend gardens while we’re out of town, including weeding, mulching, thinning maybe,
monitoring drip system, hand watering trees (or installing drip to them), keeping up on
harvest, making produce ready for CSA customers to pick up (we’ll only have about 3
2. Mow lawns, whip weeds (probably just twice), etc.
3. Care for 16 chickens, 2-3 goats, 4 cats & 2 fish, including cleaning stalls when needed,
picking up food from feed store if needed, etc. (Can use my truck).
4. Care for things that come up – minor repairs or fielding someone we or you need to call for repairs, etc.
5. Pick up mail from PO Box & mailbox. Possibly may need to forward to us once or twice.
6. Care for home – keep it clean & maintained (if there’s roommates, they’ll be responsible
for helping). Taking trash out.
• Must know drip irrigation systems well & have had responsibility for installation &
maintenance of them.
• Must be experienced with riding lawnmower & weed whacker & maintenance of such.
• Must know some basics of & have some experience in gardening.
• Would be good if there was caretaker or homeowner experience.
POSSIBLE PAYING JOB EXPANSION:
We’re looking for a camp counselor for Earth Camp. If you’re interested, inquire & I’ll tell you about it. Website: www.earthcamp.org . Website of the nature school here that it operates under (& at): www.wildflowerkids.org .
PROCEDURE: Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com or call Bev
California FarmLink (CFL) provides internship listings only as a public service to the sustainable agriculture community and no recommendation of an organization posting a position on this site is expressed or implied by CFL.
CFL makes no claims concerning the content, accuracy, suitability, intent, comprehensiveness, or availability of the positions posted. It is the responsibility of the prospective intern to take all necessary precautions when interviewing for or accepting positions. CFL encourages all prospective interns to obtain as much information as possible about the farm or organization offering the internship before accepting any internship or apprenticeship offer. CFL is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or other aspects of the positions offered on this website.
It is the responsibility of the farm or organization offering internships to be aware of federal and state labor laws related to such positions, and any complaints concerning these matters should be directed to the proper state or federal authority or to a sponsoring educational institution if applicable.