Ploughshares Nursery General Manager
Alameda Point Collaborative
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
SUPERVISES: On the Job Trainees, Garden and Propagation Coordinator
The Alameda Point Collaborative works to end homelessness by providing housing and services to create communities where formerly homeless families and individuals can flourish.
Alameda Point Collaborative (APC) is a nonprofit agency operating on the site of the former Naval air base in Alameda, managing 200 housing units for over 500 formerly homeless residents and providing support services including case management, counseling, employment training and children and youth services.
Ploughshares Nursery is an environmentally responsible social enterprise of APC that serves as a job training program and transitional employment worksite for formerly homeless adults. Ploughshares is a retail and production nursery that is open to the public five days a week.
- Oversee all aspects of nursery operations including purchasing, inventory management, retail sales, and propagation in the context of a social enterprise environment serving formerly homeless adults
- Provide On the Job Training instruction for APC resident employees
- Continue developing the On the Job Training curriculum
- Manage and continuously improve the retail space
- Participate in outside marketing events and other public outreach activities
- Attend APC management meetings
- In consultation with Propagation Coordinator, manage volunteer groups assigned to work at the nursery
- Extensive knowledge of California native, edible and drought tolerant plants - horticulture and propagation
- Minimum two years supervisory experience
- Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, work on feet, do physical labor, work in inclement weather
- Basic computer proficiency, including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong professional written communication skills (will be asked to prepare a writing sample)
- Committed to growing plants in an environmentally responsible manner
- Must be able to work weekends
- Must be able to meet and maintain the good driver requirements for coverage by APC insurance carrier
We would love if you had:
- Gardening instruction experience
- Landscape design and installation experience
- Experience with FileMaker Pro and Adobe InDesign software
To apply: Please email your resume and a brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position to Andrea Schorr, APC Director of Social Enterprise, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
originally posted on the EcoFarm listserve